Kuumbwa Presented Concerts
Independently Produced Concerts / Rental Calendar
- This event has passed.
Viva La Lehrer Encore Soiree
April 9, 2014 @ 9:30 PM
Advance Tickets: www.VivaLaLehrer.comor by phone 1-800-838-3006
Doors open: 9:00 PM
Viva La Lehrer! The Biggest Happening of its kind in over 30 years!
With the Viva La Lehrer 7:00pm show completely sold out, organizers have scheduled a second “late” show, the “Viva La Lehrer Encore Soiree” from 9:30 to 10:30. A limited number of tickets will be available for $10 online at VivaLaLehrer.com or by phone 1-800-838-3006The remaining seats will be open to the public on a first-come first-served basis with a donation requested. Doors will open at 9:15 for the Encore Soiree.
This show may not be for everyone. Out of the abundance of caution we are rating it PG13. Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
Santa Cruz will celebrate the life, humor, music and songs of Tom Lehrer on the occasion of his 86th birthday. Among the individual performers are some of the most recognizable names in local comedy, music and theater. Planet Cruz creator Richard Stockton, Jazz composer Steve Wilson, and musical theater veteran Lizz Hodgin are among 18 performers who promise the biggest, most comprehensive retrospective of Lehrer’s unusual blend of academic satire, and sardonic humor since the Broadway musical Tom Foolery in the 1980’s. Proceeds will benefit the non-profit Homeless Services Center.
Currently a UCSC Professor Emeritus, Mr. Lehrer has given permission to perform his songs but doesn’t sanction the event. Neither is he expected to attend.
According to producer Peter Nichols, “Viva La Lehrer” is the perfect way to waste a Wednesday evening for all fans of Tom Lehrer and anyone who thinks they could qualify if only offered the chance.
Featured performers include:
• Richard Stockton — The Central Coast’s premier comedian, a Lehrer devotee, and creator of the popular “Planet Cruz” events will headline the show and serve as master of ceremonies.
• The Lehrermen — The world’s first Lehrer-dedicated skiffle band, was formed specially for the occasion and will offer their debut performance. The group features Steve Wilson, trombonist, arranger and vocalist, named Santa Cruz Weekly’s 2013 Best Local Musician. The group’s creator and event producer Peter Nichols on guitar and vocals and Wilson are joined by Rayburn Brothers bassist and vocalist Rick “Ace” Taklind, veteran session drummer Olaf Schiappacasse and clarinetist and jazz composer Dillon Biaocchi.
• Lizz Hodgin — Santa Cruz Shakespeare veteran and confirmed “Number One Diva Santa Cruz” performs with operatic Lehrerocity.
• Elements Man — Kylan deGhetaldi, self proclaimed “Lehrer geek” and a YouTube sensation (YouTube.com/foundring) is “NOT to be missed,” says Nichols.
• Constellation — The Jordan Johnson-led barbershop quartet, with Mark Torrance, Bill McCain and Allen Takahashi, pared from the acclaimed Gold Standard Chorus.
• “Me&Tom” — Nichols will revive his one-man revival of several haunting Lehrer gems.
• 3 in a Chord — A capella trio with Beverly Wesley, Gina Jett, and Georgene Goodwin.
• Broken “G” String — ukulele duo with Beverly and Gina.
• Mike Rotkin — Five-time Mayor of Santa Cruz and Tom Lehrer devote
• Phyllis Greenleaf — Live Oak School Board Trustee and part-time clown